As opioids claim an ever-greater number of American lives, the DAILY NEWS turned to the nation’s top medical specialists for what the addicted and their loved ones need to know. “
By Dr. Yasmin Hurd, Dr. Edwin Salsitz and the staff of the Addiction Institute at Mount Sinai in New York.
Frequently asked questions about opioid and opiate addiction and use include:
- What are opioids?
- What are opiates?
- How do opioids affect the brain and the body?
- Why are opioids addictive?
- How quickly can someone become addicted?
- What percentage of patients prescribed opioids become addicted?
- What are the signs of addiction?
- What are the signs that someone has recently taken or is addicted to opioids?
- How does combining opioids with benzodiazepines such as Valium and Xanax affect the user?
- How does methadone differ from other opioids in its chemistry and its effect on addicts?
- What are the most effective treatments for those who become addicted?
- What are diseases or medical conditions that arise secondary to opioid addiction? Do these side-effects vary by opioid drug?
Source: NYDailyNews.com – June 23, 2017