NIDA has updated their 8-page research report providing the latest scientific information on heroin use and its consequences as well as treatment options available for those struggling with heroin addiction. The contents include:
- Letter From the Director
- What is heroin and how is it used?
- What is the scope of heroin use in the United States?
- What effects does heroin have on the body?
- What are the immediate (short-term) effects of heroin use?
- What are the long-term effects of heroin use?
- How is heroin linked to prescription drug abuse?
- What are the medical complications of chronic heroin use?
- Why does heroin use create special risk for contracting HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C?
- How does heroin use affect pregnant women?
- What can be done for a heroin overdose?
- What are the treatments for heroin addiction?
- Where can I get further information about heroin?
The 8-page PDF can be accessed at: http://atforum.com/addiction-resources/documents/Heroin2014.pdf
Source: National Institute on Drug Abuse – February 2014