- Addict in the Family
A reference for persons addicted to substances of abuse, and for their relatives and friends. It provides a practical, no nonsense guide for better understanding drug abuse and the various treatment options available. By Andrew Bryne, MD.
Download PDF (396KB, 76pp)
- COMBAT HEROIN & Prescription Drug Abuse Website
State of New York
- Dramatic Increases in Maternal Opioid Use and Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Infographic
National Institute on Drug Abuse September 2015.
- DrugFacts: Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medications
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) December 2014.
Download PDF (356KB, 4pp)
- DrugFacts: Understanding Drug Abuse and Addiction
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) November 2012.
Article available at: http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/understanding-drug-abuse-addiction
- Drugs, Brains & Behavior – The Science of Addiction
National Institute on Drug Abuse Updated July 2014.
This booklet provides scientific information about the disease of drug addiction, including the many harmful consequences of drug abuse and the basic approaches that have been developed to prevent and treat the disease.
Download PDF (3.36MB, 36pp)
- NEWIMG1-Ending the Opioid Crisis: A Practical Guide for State Policymakers
CASA October 2017.
Download PDF (2.22 MB, 77pp)
- Facing Addiction in America – The Surgeon General’s Report
U.S. Surgeon General November 2016.
- Guide For Policymakers: Prevention, Early Intervention And Treatment Of Risky Substance Use And Addiction
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse December 2015.
Download PDF (1.98MB, 100pp)
- Medical Consequences of Drug Abuse
National Institute on Drug Abuse 2012.
- Heroin: Facts, Effects and Health Risks
MedPageToday.com December 16, 2015.
- How Bad is the Opioid Epidemic
PBS.org February 2016.
- Prescription Drug Abuse: Strategies to Stop the Epidemic
Healthy Americans October 2013.
Download PDF (2.7MB, 64pp)
- Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide
National Institute on Drug Abuse January 2014.
Download PDF (3.79MB, 42pp)
- Principles of Drug Addiction
National Institute on Drug Abuse December 2012.
This document is intended to address addiction to a wide variety of drugs, including nicotine, alcohol, and illicit and prescription drugs. It is designed to serve as a resource for health care providers, family members, and other stakeholders trying to address the myriad problems faced by patients in need of treatment for drug abuse or addiction.
Download PDF (577KB, 44pp)
- Teaching Aids on Addiction for Health Practioners and Neuroscientists
National Institute of Drug Abuse 2007.
This series of teaching aids includes PowerPoint Presentations and background information for the presenter. Good background information for anyone who has an interest in learning the basics of drug addiction.
The Brain & the Actions of Cocaine, Opiates, and Marijuana
Sections include: Introduction to the Brain, Introduction to the Reward System, and Introduction to Drugs of Abuse: Cocaine, Opiates (Heroin) and Marijuana (THC)
View html file
The Neurobiology of Drug Addiction
Sections include: Introduction to the Brain, The Reward Pathway and Addiction, The Action of Heroin (Morphine), and The Action of Cocaine.
View html file
Understanding Drug Abuse and Addiction: What Science Says
View html file
Bringing the Power of Science to Bear on Drug Abuse and Addiction
View html file
- The Neurobiology of Drug Addiction: Implications for Treatment
NIDA Science & Practice Perspective – Voume 1, #1, July 2002.
Download PDF (305KB, 36pp)
- The Neurobiology of Addiction: Where We Have Been and Where We Are Going
2009 journal article by George F. Koob, Ph.D. and Dr. Eric J. Simon.
- NEWIMG1-The Opioid Crisis, Seniors, and Medicare Fact Sheet
Advocates for Opioid Recovery November 2017.
- Understanding the Addicted Mind
Stanford Medicine 2012 newsletter.
- Updated Research Report on Heroin
National Institute on Drug Abuse November 2014.
Download PDF (862KB, 8pp)
- Bringing Recovery Supports to Scale Technical Assistance Center Strategy (BRSS TACS) Archived Webinars
Links to the webinars are available at: http://www.samhsa.gov/brss-tacs/
- Co-participation in 12-Step Mutual Aid Groups and Methadone Maintenance Treatment: A Survey of 322 Patients
Co authored by William L. White 2013.
Download PDF (162KB, 15pp)
- Integration of Mental Health, Substance Use, and Primary Care Services – Embracing our Values from a Client and Family Member Perspective.
This information is available from CalMEND.
Download PDF (1.0MB, 38pp)
- MARS Medication-Assisted Recovery Services™
The MARS™ Project is a peer-initiated and peer-based recovery support project sponsored by the National Alliance of Medication-Assisted (NAMA) Recovery.
- Narcotics Anonymous and the Pharmacotherapeutic Treatment of Opioid Addiction in the United States
William L. White 2011.
Download PDF (311KB, 64pp)
- Peer-based Addiction Recovery Support: History, Theory, Practice and Scientific Evaluation
Great Lakes Addiction Technology Transfer Center 2009.
Download PDF (2.03MB, 265pp)
- Recovery-Oriented Methadone Maintenance Monograph
William White, MA, and Lisa Mojer-Torres, JD October 2010.
The purpose of this monograph , is to explore what this shift means to the design and delivery of methadone maintenance (MM) treatment and the status of MM treatment and MM patients in the United States.
Download PDF (1.0 MB.168 pp)
- Recovery Oriented Systems of Care (ROSC) Resource Guide
Download PDF (1.10 MB, 30pp)
- The Recovery Movement – The Bridge
ATTC – Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network 2015.
This issue of The Bridge is available at: http://www.attcnetwork.org/find/news/attcnews/epubs/v5i2_article00.asp
- Toward a New Recovery Movement: Historical Reflections on Recovery, Treatment and Advocacy
William L. White 2000.
Download PDF (96KB, 35pp)
This site contains the full text of more than 200 articles, 5 monographs, 30+ recovery tools, 9 book chapters, 3 books, and links to an additional 12 books. Those papers selected for inclusion contain all of the articles and monographs authored by William White on the new recovery advocacy movement, recovery management and recovery-oriented systems of care.
- What are Peer Recovery Support Services?
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration 2009.
Download PDF (239KB, 16pp)
- Working Definition of Recovery
Download PDF (24KB, 2pp)
All links accessed November 22, 2017.