“In 2013, an average of 20 Americans died of heroin overdose every day. The death toll has been rising 40% per year since 2011, overtaking fatalities from HIV in 2013. News stories on the issue are long on fear but short on solutions. So here are five things you need to know about America’s heroin overdose crisis.”
- Most new users came to heroin as a result of addiction to prescription drugs.
- Quitting heroin is the easy part–the hard part is staying off.
- The users trying to quit for good run the greatest risk of overdose.
- We could stop people from dying of overdose, except we can’t find them.
- We can remove the risk of death by creating Safe Injection Facilities.
Source: HuffingtonPost.com – March 10, 2015